Getting a Parking Permit
University employees should contact the Transportation & Parking Coordinator for their department to request a parking permit. UNC Hospitals’ employees should contact the Hospital Parking Office at 919-966-1031. Temporary and contract employees should contact the unit/department that employs them for information on parking availability.
Parking resources are allotted by utilizing the UNC Parking Allocation Formula to determine how many parking permits are distributed among over two hundred separate departments. The allocation system does not determine who will get permits: It determines only how many permits will be available to each department. The Allocation Formula system is designed to equitably allocate permits to each department.
Departments are required to develop criteria for permit issuance within their unit that is most suitable to their mission and operations. The Departmental Parking Policies provide specific information for each department’s parking assignment guidelines. All departments with campus parking allocations are required to post/update their department allocation policy on the Transportation & Parking website. Each department has an assigned Transportation and Parking Coordinator to assist employees with commuting options.
Check the Parking Permit Map to view zone designations for lots. Permit designations may also have to do with specific permit types that allow special access that include mornings/afternoons only, reserved, or access to all lots. The permit types have specific requirements for issuance and require special approval. Employee parking permits are generally valid in the designated zone, Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Parking lots are often reserved for Event Parking after regular business hours and permits are normally not valid during these times.
Other Parking OptionsShort-Term/Hourly Parking
- Temporary Permit – A daily/weekly permit may be purchased for one up to five days in a zone such as S11 (lots surrounding the Smith Center) if there is space availability and no waiting list. The U and RU campus circular bus routes serve these lots at regular intervals throughout the day. Temporary permits may also be available in proximate lots during break periods such as the winter and summer breaks.
- Rams Head Deck is located on central campus and offers an hourly/daily parking option.
- Meters located throughout campus provide short-term parking option but are often limited to 3-hour or 30-minute parking.
- Employees and students are not eligible and may receive citations for parking in lots solely designated for visitor/patient parking during regular Mon.-Fri., 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. business hours.
- Employees with a medical appointment can submit an online request for an Employee/Student Patient Permit prior to the appointment date. Please allow 3 days for mailing the permit. Permits can be picked up in person at the following locations: Transportation & Parking Office at 285 Manning Drive; Dogwood Deck Pay Operations Office (2nd Level at exit onto East Drive); Hospital Parking Office (Bldg. across from Women’s & Children’s Hospital), ACC lot entrance (booth attendant will issue upon request). Displaying these permits notifies parking control that the employee is parking for a medical purpose and not parking for work.
To access the EV stations, users must pay the established parking fees during posted hours of operation for visitors, employees and students. Employees and students have the option to upgrade their assigned permit and purchase a $260 annual permit for unlimited charging access. All users have the option to pay an additional $0.75 per hour for the use of the EV stations on an as needed basis. Vehicles should be relocated as soon as possible following a charge to allow other users to access the stations. To use the stations, register with ChargePoint or purchase the annual permit at the Public Safety building at 285 Manning Drive. For questions about using the stations, call the 24/7 technical support hotline at 1-888-758-4389.
UNC employees may choose to go on a waiting list for a particular employee parking zone. Contact your Department Coordinator to sign employees up for their requested waiting list. Employees may check waitlist status at Online Services.
- Permanent employees receive priority on the waiting list based on their total state service date through October 31 of the academic year. Beginning November 1, waiting list position is determined by the date of request for both permanent and temporary employees.
- Temporary and contract employees are placed on a waiting list after permanent employees based on the date of request. Beginning November 1st, waiting list positions for both permanent and temporary employees is based on date of request. Parking Coordinators are responsible for adding employees to the waiting list by submitting requests.
- UNC Hospitals employees may sign up for the hospital waitlist. If there are additional questions, you may contact the Hospital Parking and Transportation office at 919-966-1031.
- Employee waiting list permits are released the 3rd Friday of the following months: September, October, November, March, April and May of each year
Permit Pricing and Payment Options
Employee permit prices vary by zone and type designation and are based on a sliding scale relative to salary, and permanent versus temporary employment status. Pro-rated permit pricing is updated weekly. Pricing is calculated for Monday-Friday which would define weekly. Both daily and weekly pricing is set fee structure implemented at the beginning of each new permit year.
- Only permanent UNC and UNC Health Care employees are eligible for payroll deduction. Temporary employees are not eligible for payroll deduction. Permanent employee’s payroll deductions are pre-taxed unless the employee elects otherwise during permit registration. Contract departments must purchase parking allocation prior to beginning of permit year.
- Contract Departments must purchase the department’s permit allocation prior to the beginning of the permit year. If a contract department does not purchase the department’s allocation, then the contract employees much pay by cash, check, or charge at time of purchase.
Online Account Management
Employees can manage parking accounts at Online Services by logging in with their PID or Onyen. Services include registering for parking and the Commuter Alternative Program (CAP), checking the permit waiting list, updating vehicle information, paying citations, and printing daily/weekly Park & Ride permits.
Commuter Alternative Program (CAP)
Parking on campus is limited and many employees opt to join the Commuter Alternative Program (CAP) and utilize commuting choices such as local and regional transit, park and ride, carpool, vanpool, biking, and walking to access campus. The program provides participants economically and environmentally sound commuting opportunities. All CAP registrations are done online at My Account.
Motorist Assistance Program (MAP)
The Motorist Assistance Program is a cost-free service provided by Transportation & Parking. If a vehicle requires a “jump start” or if the keys are locked inside the vehicle, motorists may call Parking Control at 919-962-8006.