2014 Bicycle Master Plan
About the Plan
UNC developed a Bicycle Master Plan with the goal of making cycling an inbiketegral part of UNC-Chapel Hill culture. UNC wants to create a safe place for everyone to ride – from potential riders to daily commuters. The Plan was developed concurrently with the Town of Chapel Hill’s Bike Plan, so there is seamless cooperation to jointly implement both plans. The Town of Carrboro’s Bicycle Plan will also guide access improvements to UNC’s campus.
The Plan Vision
Bicycling is an integral part of UNC culture and how the community gets to, through and around campus.
The Plan Goals
- Increase safety for all campus users including bicyclists, pedestrians, transit users and drivers.
- Build a culture of bicycling among UNC students, staff and faculty.
- Use education and enforcement to improve bicycling and safety for all road and pathway users.
- Create well-known and connected north-south and east-west bicycle routes through campus.
- Fund bicycle improvements on campus.
Chapters and Appendices
- Chapter 1: Plan Process
- Chapter 2: Existing Conditions
- Chapter 3: Engineering Recommendations – Bicycle Network
- Chapter 4: Engineering Recommendations – Bicycle Parking and Support Facilities
- Chapter 5: Education, Encouragement and Enforcement Recommendations
- Chapter 6: Implementation Strategies
- Appendix A: Public Engagement
- Appendix B: UNC-Chapel Hill Commuter Mode Data, 1997-2013
- Appendix C: UNC-Chapel Hill Bicycle Facility Design Approach
- Appendix D: Project Descriptions
- Appendix E: Cost Estimates + Backup
- Appendix F: Program, Policy and Implementation Recommendations
- Appendix G: Bike Share