Kenan-Flagler Business School to Dean Smith Center Connector
Purpose of Improvements
This connection would create a new north-south non-motorized route between the Paul Hardin Drive/Morrison Residence Hall and the Smith Center and Business School reducing the need to navigate the severe grade change along Skipper Bowles Drive.
- Paul Hardin Drive terminates at a large staircase which leads to William Blythe Drive.
- Bicyclists must use Ram Village sidewalks to reach William Blythe Drive to avoid staircase. Once on Blythe Drive, bicyclists must route to Skipper Bowles Drive to access Kenan Drive.
- The grade change between Blythe Drive, Skipper Bowles Drive and the Skipper Bowles parking lot is significant.
- The pathway is maintained by UNC-CH.
The Campus Master Plan shows development on the existing Skipper Bowles Parking Lot located adjacent to the Business School Parking Deck. When that development occurs, it is recommended that a 20-foot wide shared-use path on top of or through the building to provide connection to Kenan Drive and potentially to the Dean Smith Center and directly to Paul Hardin Drive. This shared-use path would be similar the path that crosses Rams Head Center. This project could also potentially result in a bridge over Blythe Drive at the Ram Village dorm. Construction of this shared-use path would create a route from South Road through the center of campus that minimizes grade changes and interactions with motor vehicles for pedestrians and bicyclists. Refer to the aerial photograph to the right for segment locations.
- Segment A: Bridge over Blythe Drive starting from top of stairs at the end of Paul Hardin Drive.
- Segment B: Path on top of future building replacing Skipper Bowles Lot.
- Segment C: Bridge over Kenan Drive to connect to the Business School Path.
Primary Implementation Challenges: Coordination with architectural design of future building, identifying a suitable route to Dean Smith Center and determining feasibility of direct bridge connection to staircase at end of Paul Hardin Drive.
Probable Construction Cost: $10,500,000