Employees and students may register for CAP online. If a permit/pass is needed immediately, please register in person.

To register in person, university employees and students may visit the Public Safety Building at 285 Manning Drive, and UNC Healthcare employees can register at the Hospitals Parking Office located in front of the NC Children’s Hospital.

CAP membership is free and comes with cost-saving benefits! CAP members have the option to purchase a Park-and-Ride permit for the academic year, or temporary permits may be purchased outside of CAP.
If you are interested in joining CAP, you can turn in your on-campus parking permit at any time for a pro-rated refund (or to stop payroll deductions). If you do not already have a parking permit, you can simply choose your commute option to sign up for CAP.

If you are no longer interested in being a CAP member, you can turn in your Park-and-Ride permit, GoPass, or Chatham Transit Express (CT) pass to the Public Safety Building or the Hospital Parking Office for a pro-rated refund (or to stop payroll deductions).

Yes! Please come to the Public Safety Building or the Hospital Parking Office. If you’re switching from Park-and-Ride permit or free bus pass, please bring it with you.
When choosing a group, make sure that you choose “CAP MEMBER” from the drop down list to ensure that the CAP commute options will appear.
CAP membership lasts for a year, beginning on August 15 and ending on August 14 of the next year. CAP members receive emails in July about registration for the upcoming year.

Permanent employees will have their CAP membership automatically renewed each year, or they may stop the auto-renewal process by speaking to their department’s parking coordinator.

If you are using your Onyen, you may need to reset your password. If logging in with your PID, please email us at cap@unc.edu and we will reset the password for you.
To be more eco-friendly, CAP is now e-mailing the discount card out to members after registration. Follow CAP on Facebook to see when the next event is. See which businesses support CAP with a discount.

The 1-day S11/Park-and-Ride permit can be picked up from the Public Safety Building or Hospitals Parking office, or printed at home.

To print the permit at home:

  1. Log in to online services.
  2. Scroll down to click “Get permits.”
  3. Select CAP Member as the customer group.
  4. Select the option for “CAP 1-Day S11/P&R printable” permit.
  5. Input the day you need the permit, then the vehicle.
  6. Select “Printable permit” (not a mailing address).
  7. Follow the remaining steps.
  8. Display the printed permit on the vehicle’s dashboard.
The permit is valid in S11 lots, in any of the “R” (remote lots) such as AOB/Giles Horney, or in any of the Park-and-Ride lots served by Chapel Hill Transit. Please note that students can only use the S11-Manning lot. Employees may use any S11 lot along Skipper Bowles Dr.
Temporary permits for the S11 lots are available for purchase at the Public Safety Building. One-day Park-and-Ride permits may be paid for electronically with Parkmobile.

Hourly parking is also available on campus at the Rams Head Deck on Ridge Road for $1.75 per hour.

Employees may sign up to track sustainable trips with ShareTheRideNC and earn points to enter prize drawings. University employees can use the Onyen login and Hospital employees can use their email to log in.

To begin tracking trips, create an account with ShareTheRideNC, and follow the instructions on the calendar!

The University and Town Park-and-Ride lots, served by Chapel Hill Transit, require a paid permit. The regional Park-and-Ride lots, served by GoTriangle, are free of charge and do not require a permit (a gate card is needed for the American Tobacco Deck).
UNC permits are valid in any of the University and Town-owned Park-and-Ride lots, and parking is available on a first come, first served basis.
If you have more than one vehicle, log in to your account and click “Manage Your Vehicles” to add another. Please note this will assign the vehicle to you as an employee/student, so that vehicle can no longer park in a visitor space unless you request a visitor permit from the Public Safety Building.
To replace a lost Park-and-Ride permit, come in person to the Public Safety Building (285 Manning Drive) or to the Hospitals Parking Office and fill out a lost affidavit. There is a $25 replacement fee.
Yes. The online system will not allow registration for both a bus pass and an annual Park-and-Ride permit, so you can register for one online and obtain the other in person at the University or Hospital Parking Office. You may purchase daily or weekly Park-and-Ride permits at any time online. Please note that Park-and-Ride permits are not necessary for the free GoTriangle or PART lots, just for UNC or Town of Chapel Hill-operated lots.

Students in the interinstitutional program can obtain a GoPass through CAP. Please note that the GoPass is only to be used for commuting between UNC and the other university.

Employees or students not in the program who need to travel between universities can purchase a pass through GoTriangle.

To replace a lost GoPass or CT pass, come in person to the Public Safety Building or to the Hospital Parking Office and fill out a lost affidavit. The first replacement is free. Any additional replacements cost $25.
It is required to register your bicycle, but you should also register for CAP to receive the benefits!
Yes, you may purchase a motorcycle permit and join CAP. Please come by the Public Safety Building or Hospital Parking Office to register for CAP and obtain a motorcycle permit.
If your question is not answered here, please get in touch.