Park and Ride Shuttles (Tar Heel Express, Off-Campus Shuttles)
Chapel Hill Transit provides shuttle service from the Friday Center Park & Ride lot to UNC Kenan Stadium Gate 2.
- Bus service begins operating from the Friday Center Park & Ride lot at 6:45 a.m., running continuously until 30 minutes after the Ceremony start time of 9:00 a.m.
- Bus return services to the Friday Center Park and Ride from Kenan Stadium-Gate 2 begin immediately following the Ceremony and run continuously for forty-five minutes.
- Department Ceremony return services to the Friday Center Park and Ride will begin at 12:30 p.m. and operate until 5:00 p.m. from the pick-up locations of the Old Well, Student Union, and Smith Center. The return service is operated by Carolina Livery.
Shuttles do not run from Kenan Stadium to the smaller ceremonies throughout campus. They only operate from the designated pick-up points (Old Well, Student Union and Smith Center) after the department ceremonies.
Campus Shuttle Service (Carolina Livery)
Shuttles begin operating from designated public parking areas at 6:45 a.m. running continuously to Kenan Stadium – Gate 6 until 30 minutes after the Commencement Ceremony start time of 9:00 a.m. Campus Shuttles will provide return services immediately following the ceremony and run continuously for 45 minutes. Department Ceremony return services to the Friday Center Park and Ride and the on-campus “shuttle lots” begins at 12:30 p.m. and operates until 5:00 p.m. from the pick-up locations of the Old Well, Student Union, and Smith Center.
Public Parking Lots with Campus Shuttle Service (Carolina Livery)
- Manning Lot – Manning Lot, Chapel Hill, NC 27599
- Bowles Lot – Skipper Bowles Drive, Chapel Hill, NC
- Jackson Deck – Manning Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27514
- Dogwood Deck – East Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27514
- Cardinal Deck – West Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Shuttles do not run from Kenan Stadium to the smaller ceremonies throughout campus.
Public Parking Lots without campus shuttle services (For Public and Graduates)
Students participating in graduation ceremonies may park in all lots designated as Public Parking located throughout campus. Weekday permits are not valid for campus lots for Commencement. Public Parking Lots without shuttles include:
- Ehringhaus – Ehringhaus Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27599
- Craige Deck – Manning Drive, Chapel Hill, NC
- Park Place – Park Place, Chapel Hill, NC 27514
- Forest Theatre – Boundary St, Chapel Hill, NC 27514
- Graham Circle – Country Club Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27514
- Nash Lot – Pittsboro St, Chapel Hill, NC 27514
- Ambulatory Care Center – Mason Farm Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Graduates or guests who require accessibility parking and/or seating accommodations should contact Accessibility Resources & Services well in advance at the Student and Academic Services North Building, Campus Box #7214, 919-962-0754, 711 (NC RELAY). Office hours are 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday. Parking and seating accommodation credentials will be issued through this office.
Graduates and guests with disability license plates or hang tags should also request a Commencement Accessibility Parking Permit to ensure appropriate access.
Taxi Service Drop-Off and Pick-Up
For the main UNC Commencement Ceremony scheduled for 9 a.m., taxi services including Uber and Lyft may drop and pick-up passengers along South Columbia bus lane between Manning Drive and South Road between 7 a.m. and noon. In the interest of public safety and other operational concerns, other areas of campus have restricted traffic and road access, and taxi services are not allowed.
- Use the 5-minute sidewalk/step route between Fordham Hall, the Health Education Center and Genome Sciences Building which connects to the Rams Club pre-game event, the Tar Heel Tailgate in front of Bell Tower Deck and near Gate 5.
- For a route that provides elevators, use the 7-minute walk to the bridge which connects to level 4 of the Bell Tower Deck (elevators inside) and descends to the surface and Tailgate area.
Non-wheelchair patrons with accessibility challenges who cannot navigate the walk to the Stadium may use the parking lots serviced by Carolina Livery and noted in the “Public Parking with Shuttle” section.
Reserved – Permit-Only Parking
Certain parking areas on campus are not available for public parking and are reserved to accommodate accessibility parking requests and facilitate access to small department ceremonies. The following areas are permit-only parking:
- Rams Head Deck (reserved until 11:30 a.m.)
- Morehead Lot
- Law School Lots
- Raleigh Road Lot
- Stadium Drive Lot
- Public Safety Lot
- McCauley Deck
- Undergraduate Library Lot
- Swain Lot
- Hanes Lot
- Bynum Circle Lots
- Emerson and Davis Drive Lots
- Cobb Deck (open at noon)
- School of Government (SOG) Deck
- Emergency Drive Lots
- Koury Lot
- Peabody Lot
- Bell Tower Deck (open at 1 p.m.)
Employees participating in Commencement Ceremony activities may present their UNC One Card or UNC parking permit to the monitor to access the Cobb or Bell Tower decks. Employees with or without permits or a UNC One Card may park in areas designated for Public Parking.
Roadway / Traffic Information
Roads on campus may be blocked throughout the day to facilitate access and shuttle services. The following roads are impacted and will be restricted to bus traffic and reserved permit only parking areas:
Roads Closed for Through Traffic (5:45 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.)
- Raleigh Street (Cameron to South Road)
- Ridge Road
- South Road
- Stadium Drive
Raleigh Road becomes congested as early as 7:30 a.m. To avoid traffic delays use alternate routes when possible to access campus or utilize park and ride lots located off campus and served by Carolina Livery. It is recommended to access campus through the southern entrances from US 15-501 and S. Columbia St.