Tar Heel Express
Chapel Hill Transit provides the Tar Heel Express shuttle service from local Park & Ride lots to UNC Men’s Basketball games.
- The cost to ride the Tar Heel Express is $5 round-trip or $3 one-way. No parking fee is charged for any Tar Heel Express pick-up lot.
- Passengers are issued wrist bands at the Park & Ride lot that indicates the appropriate bus for return trip boarding.
- All buses drop-off and pick up in front of the Smith Center.
- Buses begin operating from the Park & Ride lots 1.5 hours prior to game time to just after tip-off. Return trips begin immediately following the game.
- For more information on the Tar Heel Express, visit the Town of Chapel Hill website.
Rams Club Member Parking
- Parking lots surrounding the Smith Center are designated and reserved for Rams Club Basketball parking.
- Reserved lots must be cleared by 5:30 p.m. and 6:00 p.m., and by 10:00 a.m. for weekend games.
- Rams Club parking assignments for athletic events is managed by The Educational Foundation.
For more information on Rams Club member parking, please visit the Rams Club website.
General Public Parking
Public Parking Lots are available for basketball games. Exact change is appreciated to facilitate traffic flow into the lots.
- $0 Bell Tower Deck – South Road, Chapel Hill, NC
- $10 Boshamer Lots – Ridge Road, Chapel Hill, NC
- $10 Cardinal Deck – Manning Drive, Chapel Hill, NC
- $10 Jackson Deck – East Drive, Chapel Hill, NC
- $10 Family Practice Lot (Purchase of Manning Lot Permit) – Manning Drive, Chapel Hill, NC
Disability Parking & Shuttles
Disability Parking is reserved for UNC Men’s Basketball games in the Rams Head Deck located off of Ridge Road.
- Disability Parking is $10 per vehicle.
- Patrons with a state (any state) disability permit or license plate may park in this location.
- Patrons with a temporary mobility issue that do not have a state issued disability permit or plate may arrange for a game day disability parking permit by contacting Transportation and Parking Services at 919-962-3951 or submit requests by completing the Basketball Request Form.
Rams Head Shuttle provides service from the Rams Head Deck bus stop to the front of the Smith Center.
- Patrons are issued a Shuttle Pass when paying to park that must be presented when boarding the Rams Head Shuttle.
- Golf Cart shuttles are available at the Smith Center bus drop-off for patrons unable to walk from the bus stop.
- The Golf Cart Shuttles are provided on a first-come, first-served basis and only pick-up and drop-off at doors “A” and “B” of the Smith Center.
Anyone unable to walk from the “A” and “B” Doors to the bus stop in front of the Smith Center postgame, may ride the special golf carts to the bus stop. Service is first-come-first serve from the designated shuttle pick-up locations only. To ensure the most fair service possible, golf cart drivers will not pick-up passengers from any other locations and to stop running their cart if patrons board from unauthorized shuttle locations.
UNC Employees and UNC Hospitals Employees parked in lots reserved for weeknight games, and are unable to move their vehicles, will be provided with an alternative parking option for game nights. Alternate employee parking requests can be submitted by completing the Basketball Request Form. UNC Hospital employees should contact the Hospital Parking Office at 919-966-1031.
Employees attending a basketball game should park in General Public Parking areas and pay the $10.00 parking fee.
The following roads/drives are restricted or closed for thru traffic for game operations:
- Bowles Drive, Kenan Center Drive, Blythe Drive Hardin Drive and Hibbard Drive are closed to thru traffic beginning 5 p.m. on for weeknight games or 3.5 hours prior to game time.
- Mason Farm Corridor (East Drive to Fordham Blvd.) includes Purefoy, Oteys and Mason Farm is closed to thru traffic beginning 6 p.m. for weeknight games or 3.5 hours prior to game time.
- Bowles Drive Lots should be accessed from the side of Bowles Drive that is the closest to the lot entrance. There is no thru traffic in front of the Smith Center.
Taxi Service Drop-Off and Pick-Up
Taxi services, including Uber and Lyft, may drop and pick-up passengers along Blythe Drive by accessing it from Bowles Drive and exiting it onto Hibbard Drive. Other areas of campus have restricted traffic and road access and taxi services are not allowed.
Reserved Areas & Vehicle Relocation
Parking lots are designated as reserved for basketball game day parking and operations. Vehicles left in Reserved Lots will be relocated to the top tier of Manning Lot. The cost for violating event parking restrictions is a $50 parking citation and a $90-$100 relocation fee. Owners may retrieve vehicles directly from the lot without completing any paperwork. Parking violations must be paid with 10 calendar days to avoid late fees or appealed to be eligible for appeal consideration. Contact 919-962-8100 if you require assistance in locating your vehicle.
Vehicles must be removed by 5:30 p.m. from the following lots:
- Williamson / Williamson Drive (S11 Permit)
- Dean E. Smith (S11 Permit)
- Manning (S11 Permit)
- Koury (S9 Permit)
Vehicles must be removed by 6:00 p.m. from the following lots:
- Bowles Lot (S11 Permit)
- Business School Deck (BD Permit)
- Public Safety Lot (S1 Permit)
Vehicles must be removed from all above noted lots by 10:00 a.m.