UNC partners with the Town of Chapel Hill to create a Halloween on Franklin Street celebration with the goal of having a fun and safe locally hosted and attended event. With this in mind, many roadways and parking lots on campus will be restricted for the event.
Campus Parking Restrictions
Parking regulations are in effect Wednesday Oct 31, 2018
Parking permit regulations are in effect from 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, October 31 through Thursday, November 1 at 2 a.m. in all weekday permitted lots. Valid weekday permits for the lot must be displayed to access the parking areas during this time frame.
Vehicles not displaying a valid permit may be ticketed and towed from permitted lots. Owners of towed vehicles must come to the Public Safety Building at 285 Manning Drive to have vehicle released from impoundment. Payment for the citation, tow, and any outstanding balances owed to UNC Transportation & Parking will be required before the vehicle will be released.
Parking Lot Closures
Some lots will not be available after 5 p.m. or 8 p.m. based on road closures or event operation needs. Please check carefully for these areas:
Parking Lot Access Restricted after 3:00 p.m. (located off Franklin St. & Cameron Ave.) Vehicles must be removed by 5:30 p.m. (vehicles will be towed at owner expense)
- Swain Lot (NG1)
- Porthole & Utility (N2)
- Morehead Lots (N2)
- Coates Lot (N9)
Parking Lot Access Restricted after 5:00 p.m. Vehicles with S4 permits and parked in the cul-de-sac in front of Gate 2 of Kenan Stadium and on the Bell Tower side of Stadium Drive from Gate 3 to the Alumni Center must be moved to the alternate locations on Stadium Drive by 8 p.m. or vacate the lot completely.
- Stadium Drive (S4)
- Aycock, Battle Lane, Spencer (A)
- Bynum Circle, Emerson & Davis Drive, Old East, Peabody (N3)
- Caldwell & Steele (NG3)
- Forest Theater (N5)
- Park Place (N5)
To view a list of town street closures for Halloween on Franklin Street, please visit the Town of Chapel Hill website at townofchapelhill.org.
Road closures on campus will include:
- Cameron Avenue – Columbia to Raleigh Street 6:30 p.m. through midnight
- South Road – Columbia to Raleigh Street 6:30 p.m. through midnight
- Stadium Drive – 5:00 p.m. through 1:30 a.m.
- Skipper Bowles Drive – 6:00 p.m. – midnight
- Williamson Drive – 6:00 p.m. – midnight
- Battle Lane – 6:30 p.m. – midnight
- Boundary Street – 6:30 p.m. – midnight
- Parking Place – 6:30 p.m. – midnight
Local and Regional transit services may be altered to accommodate Homegrown Halloween road closures. All riders must adhere to rules and polices associated with riding campus and local transit services safely. See links to Halloween route modifications:
- P2P Express Halloween Route
- Chapel Hill Transit / Safe Ride Route
- GoTriangle Route 400
- Robertson Scholar Express (RSX)– Service will end early with the last bus departing UNC at 5:00 p.m. and Duke at 4:30 p.m.
TransLoc on Demand
The TransLoc Rider app now includes real-time pick up requests for UNC Point-to-Point (P2P) On-Demand. This free app allows users to enter a destination, view estimated time of arrival and track vehicles in real-time. Customers may also use the website to request a ride.
Campus lots will require weekday permits from 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, October 31 through Thursday, November 1 at 2 a.m.
- Employees reporting to work on Halloween evening on north and mid campus locations may present their weekday permit or UNC Onecard at:
- Cobb Deck (ND)
- Nash (N7)
- Bell Tower Deck (BTD)
- Venable (N11)
- P2P After Dark is available at 919-962-7867 employees.
- Dogwood Deck is available and recommended south campus parking for all UNC Health Care employees, patients, and visitors during this time frame.
- Employees, who do not have a permit, reporting to work after the road closures should park in Dogwood Deck.
- Contact P2P After Dark at 919-962-7867 for rides to and from areas not serviced by the P2P Express Halloween Route.
Campus lots will require weekday permits 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, October 31 through Thursday, November 1 at 2 a.m. Graduate students working on campus during this time frame should contact their department coordinator for a temporary permit. Students coming to campus for academic or extracurricular activities must present their permit or UNC One card to use campus parking locations.
For more information on Homegrown Halloween for UNC students, see Student Affairs Halloween.
Student Guest Parking
UNC student guest parking is available at 6 p.m. on October 31 at $20 per vehicle at the Rams Head Deck. All other lots on campus will require weekday permits. $20 upon entry stubs are valid until 7:30 a.m. on November 1. After 7:30 a.m. on November 1, vehicles remaining in the deck are subject to the hourly rate of $1.75 per hour.