With thousands of students and employees coming to campus each day, the University encourages the use of alternative transportation options. However, the safety of our campus community remains the top priority. With the increase in use of electric stand-up scooters across campus, it is important that they are operated in a safe manner and in accordance with University regulations.
The following guidelines are provided to encourage safe practices when choosing to operate electric scooters on the University campus:
- Ride electric scooters on roadways.
- Ride on the right with the flow of traffic.
- Follow the rules of the road and obey traffic signs and signals.
- Yield to pedestrians.
- Wear a helmet.
- Don’t drink and ride.
Walk Your Wheels on Walkways
- Electric scooters are not permitted to operate on campus sidewalks or walkways per the University’s Traffic and Parking Ordinance.
- If you choose to take a scooter onto campus walkways or green spaces, you must dismount and ‘walk your wheels’.
- Electric scooters should be parked (and locked) at campus bicycle racks.
- Scooters should not be parked against or attached to trees, railings, light poles or signposts.
- Do not park scooters in a way that will obstruct pedestrian or ADA access.
- Scooters should not be brought inside residence halls or other University buildings.