UNC partners with the Town of Chapel Hill to create a Homegrown Halloween celebration with the goal of having a fun and safe locally hosted and attended event. With this in mind, many roadways and parking lots on campus will be restricted for the event.
Campus Parking Permit Regulations
Friday, Oct. 30 – Sunday, Nov. 1, 2015
Parking permit regulations are in effect from 7:30 a.m. Friday, October 30 through Sunday, November 1 at 5 a.m. in all weekday permitted lots. Valid weekday permits for the lot must be displayed to access the parking areas during this time frame.
Vehicles not displaying a valid permit may be ticketed and towed from permitted lots. Owners of towed vehicles must come to the Public Safety Building at 285 Manning Drive to have vehicle released from impoundment. Payment for the citation, tow, and any outstanding balances owed to UNC Transportation & Parking will be required before the vehicle will be released. Citation and towing payment policies and online payment processing are available at the Transportation and Parking website at https://move.unc.edu/account/.
Parking Lot Closures
Some lots will not be available after 3 p.m. or 8:30 p.m. based on road closures or event operation needs. Please check carefully for these areas:
Parking Lot Access Restricted after 3 p.m. (located off of Franklin St. & Cameron Ave.)
Vehicles must be removed by 3 p.m. (vehicles will be towed at owner expense)
- Swain Lot (NG1)
- Porthole & Utility, Morehead Lots (N2)
- Coates Lot (N9)
Parking Lot Access Restricted after 8:30 p.m.
- Aycock, Battle Lane, Spencer (A)
- Bell Tower Deck (BTD)
- Bynum Circle, Emerson & Davis Drive, Old East, Peabody (N3)
- Caldwell & Steele (NG3)
- Cobb Deck (ND)
- Forest Theater (N5)
- Fraternity Court (FC)
- Knapp Saunders Deck (KSD)
- McCauley Deck (MD)
- Nash (N7)
- Park Place (N5)
- Stadium Drive (S4)
- Venable (N11)
- Undergraduate (N8)
Access to the UNC campus and downtown/surrounding neighborhoods is restricted or diverted at several key locations.
- Southbound traffic on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd will be merged into one lane between Estes Drive and Rosemary Street.
- Traffic on E. Franklin Street will be merged into one lane between Estes Drive and Raleigh Road
- Westbound traffic on E. Franklin Street will be merged into one lane prior to the intersection of Estes Drive.
- Northbound traffic on S. Columbia Street will be detoured east onto Manning Drive. S. Columbia Street will be closed to northbound traffic at Manning Drive.
- Westbound lanes on South Road will be detoured onto Ridge Road to Manning Drive.
- Westbound traffic on Manning Drive will be detoured south onto S. Columbia Street. Road Closures begin at 4:30 p.m. and/or 8:30 p.m.
- Franklin Street, from Raleigh Street to Mallette Street
- Columbia Street, from Rosemary Street to Manning Drive
- Raleigh Street, from East Franklin to Cameron Avenue
- Henderson Street, from East Rosemary Street to East Franklin Street
- South Road, from Country Club to Pittsboro Street
- Stadium Drive, from South Road to Ridge Road
- Battle, Boundary and Park Place Streets: Blocked at Franklin
- Country Club Road from South Road to Cameron Avenue and from Ridge Road into Laurel Hill neighborhood
- Cameron Avenue from County Club to Pittsboro Street
- Hibbard Drive from Manning to Mason Farm Road
- Blythe Drive from Bowles Drive to Hibbard
- Oteys Road from, Fordham Blvd. to Mason Farm
- Purefoy Road from, Columbia to Mason Farm
- Mason Farm from Fordham Blvd. to East Drive
Campus lots will require weekday permits from 7:30 a.m. Friday, October 30 thru Sunday, November 1 at 5 a.m.
Employees reporting to work on Halloween evening prior to road closures on north (north of south road) campus may present their weekday permit or UNC One Card at Cobb Deck (ND), Nash (N7), Bell Tower Deck (BTD), and Venable (N11). Employees, who do not have a permit, reporting to work after the road closures should park in Dogwood Deck.
The Dogwood Deck is available and recommended parking for all UNC Health Care employees, patients, and visitors during this time frame.
Campus lots will require weekday permits 7:30 a.m. Friday, October 30 through Sunday, November 1 at 5 a.m. Graduate students working on campus during this time frame should contact their department coordinator for a temporary permit.
Student Guest Parking
UNC student guest parking is available at 6 p.m. on October 31 at $20 per vehicle. All other lots on campus require weekday permits. The following lots are available:
Local and Regional transit services may be altered to accommodate Homegrown Halloween road closures. It is important that all riders adhere to rules and polices associated with riding campus and local transit services safely. See links to Halloween route modifications: