Getting Around Chapel Hill
Commuting to Chapel Hill
- GoTriangle (formerly Triangle Transit) has direct bus service to UNC’s main campus from Durham, Raleigh, and Hillsborough. The GoPass can be used on all GoTriangle routes as well as the Orange-Chapel Hill Connector, GoDurham, GoRaleigh, and GoCary routes.
- The Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation (PART) has direct bus service from Greensboro, Burlington, Graham, and Mebane. The PART XPass can be used on PART Express Route 4.
- Chatham Transit has direct bus service from Pittsboro and Siler City, fare-free with a bus pass for the CT Express.
Free bus passes are provided to employees and students for commuting to UNC or for travel to classes at approved institutions. For personal trips such as internships or shopping, riders may pay with cash or purchase passes through GoTriangle or PART. Be sure to check out reduced fares for students and youth!
Eligibility Rules for Free Bus Pass
- Must forgo an on-campus daytime parking permit
- Must be a UNC student or employee paid directly by the University or Hospitals (groups not eligible include UTS employees and visiting scholars)
- Must live outside the Chapel Hill Transit service area or take classes through the Interinstitutional Program or other approved program (pre-approval is required, register online)
Obtaining a GoTriangle GoPass or Chatham Transit Pass
- Register online (pass may be picked up or mailed)
- University employees and students, pick up in person at the Public Safety building
- UNC Health Care employees, pick up in person at the Hospitals Parking Office
Obtaining a PART XPass
- Register online with PART. Registration will be verified and an email will be sent with further instructions
- Set-up a PART TouchPass account and enter the Special Benefit Code provided by PART
- Riders may select the Mobile Phone App for immediate use or a TouchPass Smartcard to be mailed
Lost/Stolen Bus Passes
To replace a GoPass or CT Express pass, come in person to the Public Safety building or to the Hospitals Parking Office. The first replacement is free, and any additional replacements cost $25 within the same permit year (Aug 15 – Aug 14).
To replace an XPass Smartcard, contact PART at 336-883-7278 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Replacement Smartcards cost $5.