UNC’s Commuter Alternative Program (CAP) offers many benefits to employees and students who use the transportation options below, instead of driving alone to campus. CAP registration requires commuters select one option as the primary commute, but an annual Park-and-Ride permit may be purchased in addition to a bus pass. Email email@example.com for assistance.
Chapel Hill Transit provides fare-free service to and from local Park-and-Ride lots. Permits are required to park in these lots. Academic year permits are available through CAP registration. Daily and weekly permits may be purchased through Online Services or the ParkMobile app.
Regional transit systems provide service to regional Park-and-Ride lots and do not require a permit to park. Review the “Transit Options” section for details on each transit system and the free bus passes available through CAP registration.
- Chapel Hill/Carrboro: Chapel Hill Transit buses are fare-free for everyone! During CAP Registration, select Chapel Hill Transit if taking the bus from home (not from a Park-and-Ride).
- UNC-Chapel Hill Campus: Chapel Hill Transit’s U route and RU route circulate campus in opposite directions on a regular schedule. Commuters can transfer to these buses to access buildings on campus, if their buses do not provide direct service.
- Durham, Hillsborough, Raleigh: GoTriangle provides direct bus service to UNC-Chapel Hill from cities across the Triangle. Order a free GoPass with CAP Registration.
- Burlington, Graham, Greensboro, Mebane: PART Express provides direct service to UNC-Chapel Hill from the Triad. Order a free XPass with CAP Registration.
- Directions from Home: Use Google Maps to get step-by-step directions from home, including walking directions.
- Directions from Park-and-Ride: Use UNC’s Trip Planner for driving directions to the nearest Park-and-Ride lot as well as transit directions to campus.
- Track Buses: Use TransLoc (mobile app or website) to see buses moving in real-time and to see bus time arrival predictions.
Join a carpool to share the cost of driving or to take turns driving. Find free, secure ride-matching through ShareTheRideNC.
UNC-Chapel Hill partners with PART and Enterprise to offer a vanpool program and provides $300 per month toward the total vanpool lease. See vanpools serving UNC.
UNC-Chapel Hill is a Bicycle Friendly University and provides bicycle amenities across campus to help cyclists commute with ease. CAP registration offers benefits including discounts at local bike shops. Cyclists may also receive a coupon for 50% off a U-lock from Student Stores after completing UNC’s free bicycle registration.
UNC-Chapel Hill and the surrounding community are vey walkable, with many sidewalks and crosswalks. Commuters who live nearby and walk from home to campus may select this option during CAP registration to enjoy CAP benefits.