Skip to main content

Medical Mobility

Employees and students affiliated with the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill or the UNC Healthcare System who have mobility limitations that require transportation and parking accommodations must apply for services.

Application Process

  1. UNC-affiliated employees and students must complete and submit the Medical Mobility Application to obtain transportation and parking accommodations on campus.
  2. The health care professional information section must be completed and signed by a licensed physician (a physician unrelated to the applicant).
  3. Transportation and Parking will provide temporary accommodations to meet immediate needs. If the application requires permanent or extended accommodations, the Transportation and Parking Accommodations Committee (TPAC) reviews application for those extended assignments. Generally, applicants will receive a response within five business days of the Committee decision.  Applicants are responsible for all costs associated with parking permits.

Student Medical Non-Mobility

Students may also apply for medical non-mobility accommodations annually if all criteria are met. Before applying for Medical Non-Mobility accommodations each year, students are responsible for:

  • Annually applying for a parking permit through the lottery process before applying through this process.
  • Exploring all available parking and transit options prior to applying for a permit related to a hardship accommodation (local transit, regional transit, carpooling, biking, or walking).
  • Providing evidence of qualifying circumstances at time of application.

A limited student parking allocation is set aside to accommodate students with medical non-mobility issues. Students who have medical non-mobility circumstances that require transportation or parking modifications on a temporary or annual basis should complete the form by the term deadline.

Application Process

  1. UNC students must complete and submit the Medical Non-Mobility Application by the term deadline each year to obtain transportation and parking accommodations on campus. Students must apply each year (annual renewal) for a medical non-mobility accommodation.
  2. The health care professional information section must be completed and signed by a licensed physician (a physician unrelated to the applicant).
  3. The Transportation and Parking Accommodations Committee (TPAC) will review applications. Applicants will be notified of decisions 10 – 15 business days after the deadline.
  4. Students may appeal the decision within five days of receiving notice of the decision, if it falls under acceptable grounds for appeal. TPAC will require additional information supporting the request and an interview.



Applicants receive a temporary assignment if the need is less than six months. Temporary assignments are only valid for the duration of time provided by the physician and are not renewable unless additional information to extend it is provided by treating physician. These requests may not require review by TPAC depending on the duration of the need. In most cases, these temporary assignments will be automatically assigned to the Bowles (S11) lot located on Manning Drive with Point to Point services to transport directly to the building or closest access point.

Annual Renewal

Annual assignments require review each new academic year to determine assignment based on changes in mobility. Updated information from treating physician will be required prior to renewal.

Permanent Assignment

Permanent assignments are automatically renewable each year the applicant is affiliated with UNC. Applicants requesting permanent assignment must be registered with appropriate University or Healthcare System EO/ADA Office or Student Affairs – Accessibility Resource Services.

Accommodations may include:

Additional time may be required to get to work or school. Please Note: Mobility limitations cited on the physician’s orders cannot exceed those noted as limitations affecting daily activity or job functions. The limitations cannot exceed those on file in the appropriate University/Healthcare System disability services office. Persons with permanent disabilities must be registered with the appropriate University/Healthcare System office.