Parking for employees is determined by department. University employees should contact the Department Parking Coordinator to request a parking permit. UNC Hospitals’ employees should contact the Hospital Parking Office at 984-974-1031. University employees may use the Move Online Account at Online Services with a PID or Onyen login.
Permits cancelled before Aug. 9 receive a full refund. Permits cancelled on or after Aug. 10 receive a pro-rated refund. Employees with a department allocated permit must contact their department parking coordinator to cancel the permit. Employees with a Park-and-Ride or motorcycle permit must complete the cancellation form.
Weeknight Parking hours are 5 p.m. – 7:30 a.m., Monday through Friday. Valid permits are UNC daytime permits (includes UNC Park-and-Ride and Student/Family Housing permits), weeknight permits, and $1 one-night temporary passes, and are honored in designated weeknight parking lots throughout campus. Employees may request weeknight parking permits through the department parking coordinator (pricing based on salary scale).
Daytime employees without a daytime permit may be eligible for a $25 annual weeknight permit. Please contact the department parking coordinator to request the permit. Eligible Commuter Alternative Program (CAP) members may request 20 free weeknight passes each semester.
Annual Weeknight Parking Permits are honored in Park-and-Ride lots during the day.
Events may impact lot availability; rollover lots provided.
The UNC Parking Allocation Formula allots parking resources to determine how to distribute parking permits among over two hundred separate departments. The allocation system does not determine who will get permits, only how many permits each department has available.
Transportation and Parking will release waitlist parking assignments for fall semester based on existing campus capacity. Waitlist releases are temporary semester assignments based on reduced campus population for fall 2020. For fall 2020, the first waitlist release will be August 28. Employees purchasing semester waitlist permits will need to be reassigned in January through the department allocation process.
UNC employees sign up for a waitlist in an employee-parking zone through the Department Parking Coordinator. Employees may check waitlist status through Online Services.
- Permanent employees receive priority on the waitlist based on the total state service date through October 31 of the academic year. Beginning November 1, date of request determines the waitlist position for permanent and temporary employees
- Temporary and contract employees are placed on a waitlist after permanent employees based on the date of request. Parking Coordinators are responsible for adding employees to the waiting list by submitting requests
- UNC Hospitals employees may sign up for the hospital waitlist. For additional questions, please contact the Hospital Parking and Transportation office at 984-974-1031
- Permits released via the Waitlist are not part of the department allocation and are not automatically renewed the following permit year
- Employee waitlist permits are released the third Friday of the following months: September, October, November, March, April and May of each year
Permanent or temporary employment status, zone, and designation determine employee permit prices, along with a sliding scale relative to salary. Transportation and Parking updates pro-rated permit pricing weekly. Weekly pricing is calculated for Monday-Friday. Both daily and weekly pricing has a set fee structure implemented at the beginning of each new permit year.
- Only permanent UNC and UNC Health Care employees are eligible for payroll deduction. Temporary employees are not eligible for payroll deduction. Permanent employee’s payroll deductions are pre-tax unless the employee elects otherwise during permit registration. Contract departments must purchase parking allocation prior to beginning of permit year.
- Contract Departments must purchase the department’s permit allocation prior to the beginning of the permit year, or the contract employee is responsible for payment at time of issuance.
Other registration procedures may be completed by individual employees and do not require the department parking coordinator. Registration forms available online for individuals to complete.
For weeknight parking, Postdoctoral Fellows without a daytime permit may be eligible for a $25 annual weeknight permit. Please contact the department parking coordinator to request the permit. Eligible Commuter Alternative Program (CAP) members may request 20 free weeknight passes each semester.