Skip to main content
Payments owed to the Department may be made in the following ways (the Department reserves the right to change payment methods for operational efficiency):

  1. Cash (not recommended to be sent through the mail) except unrolled coins (receipts will not be given until coins are properly rolled);
  2. Checks or money orders (payable to the Department);
  3. Automatic payroll deduction for employees unless the employee provides payment to the Department at the time the permit is issued;
  4. University Journal Entry (to be used by University departments for transferring funds);
  5. University Departmental Direct Fund Transfers (following Department Accounting Services guidelines);
  6. Validation Coupons from other University units or departments;
  7. Credit card (MasterCard, VISA, and Discover only);
  8. UNC One Card;
  9. Online and pay-by-phone payments;
  10. Automated pay stations; and
  11. Mobile device payment.

Vehicles Exiting Unattended Pay Lots After-Hours

Vehicles exiting pay parking facilities after pay attendant operations have closed and the gates are lowered must pay for all parking fees incurred by utilizing the automated pay stations to process the payment for parking fees.

Failure to Pay Upon Exiting a Pay Lot

The owner of any Vehicle exiting a parking facility without paying or otherwise having parking validated will be sent a billing notice for a full day’s parking.

A lost or stolen parking permit (a) must be reported immediately to the Department, and (b) an affidavit must be filed with the Department. A lost permit will be replaced at a charge of $25.00 or the face value of the permit, whichever is less. The replacement fee shall be refunded if the missing permit is found and returned to the Department.

A permit reported stolen will be replaced free of charge on a one-time only basis. In order for a stolen permit to be replaced free of charge, a police report must be filed for such permit. Permits reported lost or stolen may not be replaced without the approval of the Director of the Department or his/her/their designee(s).

Any payment made by a check that is returned by the bank and not cleared upon notification shall necessitate that a hold be placed with the University Registrar or that the amount be deducted from the employee’s paycheck. Returned checks of non-affiliated individuals or companies will be forwarded to a collection agency if not cleared upon notification. A $25.00 service charge shall be imposed for all returned checks.
No parking permit may be issued to any individual who has outstanding debts to the Department. The Department may reduce or retain any refund from the cancellation of a permit to clear all outstanding balances associated with the account. Failure to pay debts within the required time frame may result in the University arranging for the collection of fees assessed against employees, students, and visitors in the following manner:

  1. A debt owed by an employee may be deducted from the employee’s payroll checks;
  2. A debt owed by a University student necessitates that a “hold” status be placed with the University Registrar;
  3. The Attorney General for the State of North Carolina may recommend the use of a collection agency to collect debts from individuals whose debts may not be collected by payroll deduction or by other means;
  4. Failure to pay civil penalties or other just debts owed to the Department within ten calendar days of the date of the citation(s) or incurrence of the debt will result in a $10.00 late payment fee being assessed on each unpaid citation or other transaction; and
  5. A debt owed by any individual who is not eligible for payroll deduction may be subject to the garnishment of any North Carolina State income tax refund due and owing to that individual.

When the Chancellor in his/her/their sole judgment determines that civil penalties validly imposed for violation of this Ordinance cannot or will not be collected through normal administrative procedures, he/she/they may request the Attorney General for the State of North Carolina to bring a civil action against the offender in the name of the State of North Carolina for the recovery of the penalty.

Proceed to Parking